Tuesday 24 April 2012

Today


After a long day I sit here at 11:59pm to just capture a few minutes of my day for Makayla to post in the morning.

Today I have been blessed in many ways – to be there at a wonderful birth, to see a woman who had a difficult time in birth transforming into an amazing mother in front of my eyes, to the good fortune to share another pregnancy with a dear client and friend, to have news that I will have a new nanny in the middle of next week (thank goodness!).

However I have also experienced a really sad day.  I cannot work out what we do to make sure that women REALLY know that they have choices in their care.

Today I have experienced the good (above), the bad (women “finding” us well through pregnancy) and the ugly (women experiencing things no one should ever have to experience and “finding” us way down the track).

I really, really respect the choices that women make – seeing a GP, caseload midwifery care, care with us, private obstetrician, elective caesarean, water birth – but I just WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THEY HAVE CHOICES.  The choices may be simple to make – being off the bed when they birth their baby – or complex – having a home birth in many areas in Queensland.  But we all do have the ability and the right to make choices for ourselves and our babies. 

Please take the time today to just pass the information on to a pregnant friend, relative or colleague.  They have choices.  If they don’t feel “right” in their stomach about the choice they have made, they need to get more information and make another choice. 

Liz x

7 comments:

  1. Very well said Liz. Thankyou
    Kiarn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing - so others may 'Voice the Choice' - my new catch phrase for My Midwives!!!
    Thanks Liz for sharing. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel you Liz!! It's that sadness in the pit of your stomach when you hear women's experiences of fear, neglect or abandonment....it's what keeps you motivated and moving when times are tough. You are an inspiration and I personally am very glad you do what you do. Every day, you make all the difference. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Liz - thank-you for pointing this out! Unfortunately many women do not realise this fact - We DO have a choice. In a hospital maternity care system that is so governed by routine, procedures, policies - many times it is ingrained in us to just accept the process, even if it is not what we want or need. I am grateful everyday that I 'found' My Midwives in time for my beautiful boy to born how he was supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ended up in tears the other day hearing the story of a friends birth - the phrases 'cast of thousands in the room', 'raw' and 'policy to be on the bed' were used. I was devastated for her and so angry. What has happened to us culturally to accept this, why don't we understand our choices.... You guys are amazing for going into battle on this everyday and driving such monumental change in our society. I will be forever thankful for the support, advice, care and love you have given me through my two fantastic birth experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son's "birth" was a nightmare. I am hoping by the time I recover from PTSD and PND and have a second child, I will still be able to source an IM for a homebirth.

    "If you make me afraid to say no, it's not consent."

    Unfortunately, that's what happened to me and now my *choices* have been taken away to a large extent. But I will keep fighting and searching until the very last.

    Thank you for supporting women.

    ReplyDelete