Monday 23 April 2012

What's right for us.


When I became pregnant I had no idea what was involved, just that i wanted a natural birth. We had private health cover and an obstetrician lined up but something didn’t feel right. We met with My Midwives and knew their model of care was the right choice for us.

Over the pregnancy my husband and I both looked forward to the antenatal visits in their cosy office, which came to feel like a second home. Any concerns or questions we had were met with honesty, up to date information and experience allowing me to make my own decisions, and be supported in whatever decision I made. Having my own midwife allowed me to get to know her over the course of my pregnancy, and her to understand me as an anxious first time mum.   When I went into labour I felt comfortable knowing she was only a phone call away and was there to reassure me, hold my hand, support my husband and greet my little one when she entered the world.

Before I had a baby I didn’t realise how much I needed the post care support service. We don’t have family close by so having someone you trust visit you at home just took one less stress out of those first few days, plus you didn’t have to get dressed and leave the house for a baby clinic. They were available 24/7 and came over any time we needed them to make sure all 3 of us were doing okay. Plus, I couldn’t wait each day to show off the little person we’d seen grow in my belly for so long.

I can’t wait to have another baby!

1 comment:

  1. This reassures me as a studying midwife to be, especially after watching the SBS INSIGHT episode about midwifery models of care. Insight had the head of RANZCOG and a few other obstetricians making points about midwives 'skating' over risks and issues that may arise during pregnancies they are lead carers in. It is sad and angering to think that people out there could be so close minded. Sure enough there are circumstances, points in care, and issues where an obstetrician is more than welcome- if not imperative for our mothers and babies care and health. I certainly do not diminish their role because I see at my work each day how great a resource they are. But hearing mothers statements like this one above re-affirms my belief that midwives can assist, partner, care for and support mothers, families and babies in a way that no other profession can or is trained to do- especially when following a continuity of care model- be it through a hospital, or private practice.

    Thank you for sharing xox

    ReplyDelete