Monday 14 May 2012

Whos' business is breastfeeding?

Am sure many of you have seen the media lately and the incredible amount of dialogue around the ‘highly controversial’ cover of Time magazine


If you hadn’t, the quick synopsis is – this is a mum, this is her son.  He’s 3.  There have been all sorts of comments about this, one I read even said it was ‘perverse’.   To me, it’s all lunacy and I can’t help but want to scream to all the commentary – ‘what business is it of yours?’  (Ok, so she let herself get onto the cover of Time magazine and the point of course has been to spark the conversation, but the fundamental surely is that it’s actually none of anyone’s business) 

My experience with breast feeding is quite the opposite of the Time mum, in that I wanted to quit very early on – but what is similar is people feeling like they have the right to comment. 

I personally do believe that breast milk is the good stuff and I am currently breast feeding my second child.  But, for me, breastfeeding is not something that comes naturally.  First time around it’s questionable if my babe got more blood or breastmilk, which I persisted with until I had a very hungry baby and a very sad disposition.  I was more concerned about the societal pressure I felt to continue feeding instead of listening to my sensibilities. 

So, there are plenty of reasons why people might continue to feed past what is socially seen as the ‘norm’ or to stop feeding before the recommended guidelines, or  to supplement feeding or not to feed at all – whatever the reason, it’s the business of the mum and it’s the business of her child.  And in my opinion, it’s not up for opinion.
Thank you to our Guest Blogger for the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment